Welcome to (ODC) OldDudes/OldDames Clan. Click here to register

Technical Issues: Help a cheap Guy:)

When you can't decide where to post, do it here.

Moderators: timrit_jr, Galileo, Sargon

Technical Issues: Help a cheap Guy:)

Postby TriangleMan » April 3rd, 2011, 1:07 pm

Dilemma: My Mother-In-Law. [smilie=icon_silly.gif] Ooops. Let me start over..... Briefly: My mother in law does not have cable. She can watch most shows of interest with a decent antenna. She can not get CBS. That means she comes to my home every day to watch The Young and the Restless / Bold and the Beautiful. Blah!!!

Solution: Set up a VCR W/ Old TV to record this crap daily and give her the tapes to watch at home. ( She only lives 5 minutes away: other problem )

Can't afford a new DVD-R and the VCR that I have can record but has no Internal Tuner. I can rent the Tuner from Time Warner Cable but that defeats the purpose and more money down the toilet.

Is there a workaround to get the VCR to recognize one darn channel for daily recording??? I've tried every combo of antenna, + sets of Yellow, Red & white connections. Seems I've exhausted my imagination.

Any thoughts, or is money the only thing I can throw at this problem?
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Tri

National Flag:
United States of America

Re: Technical Issues: Help a cheap Guy:)

Postby Galileo » April 3rd, 2011, 2:59 pm

Option split cable connection to the VCR (ANT IN) it might then be able to get the channels. Problem most cable companies have switched to digital and the VCR may not be able to get the signal without a convertor box.

Option: if your TV has video/audio out those connection sent to your VCR should allow you to record what is being watched on the TV at that time.

First, connect the VCR to your TV. Make sure you know how to switch the TV's input so you can either watch cable, or watch a tape from the VCR.

On the back of the cable box there should be multiple outputs - one of which is in use by your TV. What you want to do is use one of the other outputs to connect to your VCR. For best recording results, use the the yellow/red/white output, if possible. Connect the output from the cable box to the INPUT of the VCR.

Set your TV to use the VCR. Now set the VCR to use the input where you connected the cable box. It may be called "IN2." You should now see the output from your cable box on the TV.
Galileo
Site Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Galileo

National Flag:
United States of America
UT3 Name: (ODC)Galileo
Status Update: Lost in Retrospection

Postby ruined » April 3rd, 2011, 3:07 pm

lol tri suck it up and let your mother-in-law watch her shows. it's what we all have to do in life. i hate mine but i still let her visit once or twice a week lol [smilie=help.gif] [smilie=end.gif]
ruined
Public

UT3 Name: Ruined

National Flag:
Canada
UT3 Name: Ruined
Status Update: Unreal Tournament

Postby Dragon88 » April 3rd, 2011, 3:15 pm

I say take a few hours of your day and video record yourself doing the Drama Shows. Then send her the tape to watch, heck mother-in-laws will watch anything these days as long as someone is sleeping around, someone is about to be killed and another person is doing some criminal activity all is good in their lives! ROFL [smilie=icon_silly.gif]
Dragon88
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Dragon88

National Flag:
United States of America
UT3 Name: (ODC)Dragon88
Status Update: The road to success is always under construction.

Postby TriangleMan » April 3rd, 2011, 3:56 pm

Ruined you are right. And Dragon, you have no idea how spot on you are in this instance! [smilie=icon_biggrin.gif]

Gali, I'll give it a shot. Mentioned to my wife that I was working on it and she didn't like the idea of a workaround. LMAO! So. Damned if you do, Damned if you don't.

Solution: pop on the gaming headphones and play UT2004! Woot!

Why do Irishmen only put 239 beans in their chili? Because one more would make it too faaarty!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sarYH0z ... 0D7AC000C1
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Return to Round File