Welcome to (ODC) OldDudes/OldDames Clan. Click here to register

Adoption of a new Dragon88 family member

When you can't decide where to post, do it here.

Moderators: timrit_jr, Galileo, Sargon

Adoption of a new Dragon88 family member

Postby Dragon88 » June 28th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Well the Dragon88 family is adopting it's 6th (yes it's not a typo) cat (ie Kitten). Yesterday I was on my way home from a week long job and sitting in the middle of a 101 degree/F highway was a 6-8 week old kitten. Was suffering from heat exhaustion and had just been hit by a car. I got out scooped the little one up and brought it home in my lap while it just lay there almost unconscious and frothing from the mouth. I got it's core body temp. down and finally got him to drink some water, and nibble on some turkey. Tried to reach a shelter in the area but basically was told to euthenics it. THAT IS NOT A OPTION in my world!!!!

At 5 am this morning he woke up excited and loud. He ate a good little meal and drink, then decided to roam about the house. He has no use of his front right leg, so I cradled it and on my hands and knees helped him walk about the house to check out the new environment. By 6am we ended up back in bed and he slept on my chin & chest. 8am he was at the vet for his over all check up, BAD news to follow. Little one has a hernia so large that his intestinal track can fall through it if he moves to much (surgery #1) also his front right leg has enough neurological damage that is has to be amputated (surgery 2). So come Monday morning he under goes the knife to have both performed at the same time. The cost is pretty large but we have decided to try and locate, secure and pay the vet bill to give this little one the fair chance at life he deserves. That and a loving, caring home with brother cats (5) to play & run with.

I was amazed that the ASPCA has no contingency plan to help people in this position rather we can adopt a kitten for a fee but we don't help injured ones. Also I was further disgusted to hear that our local humane society basically said kill it (in a nice wordy way). We are not rich people by no means but if I have to go with out my cable TV for a few months to save a life, YOU BET I AM!!!!

Anyway just wanted to share this with my ODC family, I will post updates and pictures here as the weeks go by......Did a youtube search for cats with 3 legs and they all seem happy, health and successful in life, this one will be no different!
:pray:
Dragon88
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Dragon88

National Flag:
United States of America
Status Update: The road to success is always under construction.

Re: Adoption of a new Dragon88 family member

Postby TriangleMan » June 28th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Amazing story Dragon. Way to go!!! Can't wait to see pics. :handgestures-thumbup:
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Tri

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Galileo » June 29th, 2012, 4:19 am

Dragon,

My clan has also saved several kittens in this shape and they do grow up to be a lot of fun and seem to be able to hold their own against the rest of the pride.

Great story and great deed, I wil be looking forward to pictures and progress updates, make sure you pic a good name for the little one, a tip for those that are unaware vet techs love funny names.

Some of our new additions:
Admiral Pancake
Mr. Jingle Pants

verus:
Kitty
Jack
Bella
etc

The ones with cute names seem to get better service.
Galileo
Site Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Galileo

National Flag:
United States of America
Status Update: Lost in Retrospection

Postby Dragon88 » June 29th, 2012, 7:50 am

We have:

1. Roo
2. Dryfus
3. Tiggy Turd
4. Yellow Fellow
5. Schmoo
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby TriangleMan » June 29th, 2012, 9:05 am

In:
Orlando
Sadie Katie

Out:
Panda Bear
Tommy
Velvet T
Tater Tot
Abby
Pumpkin King
Brie
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Smackaho » June 29th, 2012, 9:15 am

Amazing... I am going through a similar situation right now as well. No surgeries involved but we found three, 1 week old kittens in our front flower bed the night that a big storm came through. They were laying in water, eyes not opened yet and screaming their heads off. We took all three inside and dried them off, put them in a protected carrier to keep them dry and put them on the back porch so the mother would find them. She came and got one of the kittens but left the two smallest ones and didn't come back. After 3 weeks of bottle feeding every 4 hours and numerous trips to the vet for various reasons, only 1 of them survived. The runt must have had serious internal problems. The remaining cat has since moved on to moist food and is doing great! So I know where you are coming from. It is very satisfying to know that you saved a life. (P.S. the kitty that didn't make it has an elaborate headstone that my daughter and I made out of her disney tea set. She name the kitty "teacup" because he was so small).

Good on you for stepping up D!!! :clap:
Smackaho
Public

UT3 Name: Smackaho

Postby *DORY* » June 29th, 2012, 11:50 am

HI GUYS ,
I THINK US FAMILY ( ODC ) IS FULL THE SPECIAL PERSON AND HERE WE CAN SEE THE PROOF !!!!

DRAGON WHAT YOU HAVE TOLD IT'S A TOUCHING STORY.
YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE WONDERFUL SPECIAL PEOPLE AND BEAUTIFUL IN YOUR HEARTS TO DO ALL THIS.
EXPECT TO HAVE PHOTO THE YOUR KITTEN AND OTHER GOOD NEWS.

AND YOU TOO SMACKAHO DID A WONDERFUL THING .

MY GRANDMOTHER USED TO SAY THAT WHO COULD LOVE THE ANIMALS CAN LOVE PEOPLE AND HAS THE SOUL BLESSED BY GOD.
SOO I HOPE ALL GO WELL AND WAIT FOR THE NEWS .

WHIT LOVE FOR MAY FAMILY ( ODC )
YOUR (ODC)*DORY*
*DORY*
Clan Member

UT3 Name: (ODC)*DORY*

National Flag:
Italy
UT3 Name: (ODC)*DORY*

Postby Dragon88 » June 29th, 2012, 3:31 pm

We have squeezed the budget hard and located the $250.00 down payment to start the surgeries, have to squeeze out a remaining $450.00 by the end of July to full fill payment. But this evening we are getting ready to head out to the vet clinic to visit with the little one and get some pictures before the leg is removed. I will post them when we get back. Smack you are a WONDERFUL person for doing that, and your reward at the end will be priceless. I tell people "It's just another feather in my angel wings, and I want some bad *** wings at the end!".
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Sarah_Undead » June 29th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Way to go Dragon!! :) I can't wait to meet the new little one! :)
Sarah_Undead
Clan Member

National Flag:
United States of America
Status Update: Wearing something PINK!

Postby Dragon88 » June 29th, 2012, 6:40 pm

Just got back from the visit, he's looking a lot better but still not out of the danger zone. Here he is......
Attachments
Mrs.Dragon and little one at the vet, she did good holding back the tears.
This is the bad leg, that has to be removed. It has no feeling in it.....
"HEY! Put me down!"
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby TriangleMan » June 29th, 2012, 8:35 pm

Be strong kitty. Fingers crossed.
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Smackaho » June 30th, 2012, 10:10 am

He is adorable! How can anyone NOT like a face like that? And how can you NOT do everything in your power to help them when they are injured? And I hope you get some kicka$$ wings!!!
Smackaho
Public

Postby evol » July 1st, 2012, 5:29 pm

glad you guys have saved a kitten he is toooo cute :dance:
evol
Clan Member

UT3 Name: (ODC)evol_mistress

Postby Skidmark » July 1st, 2012, 8:20 pm

I have three cats, all of them found us. Great work dragon, hope it all works out.
Skidmark
Clan Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Galileo » July 4th, 2012, 8:44 pm

Any updates, how is the little one doing, great pictures!
Galileo
Site Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Dragon88 » July 5th, 2012, 6:44 am

Quincy is home with us, got here Tuesday afternoon, just been letting him relax and get use to his new environment. He's already up and walking about but having some trouble using the potty. Pain meds are constipating him. He had a VERY large hernia and had to have 2 drain tubes installed, they come out Monday. Will update more later!!!
Attachments
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby TriangleMan » July 5th, 2012, 7:37 am

Quincy looks adorable!!!
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Galileo » July 5th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Great looks like he is doing fine :D :D :D
Galileo
Site Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby evol » July 16th, 2012, 9:32 am

awwwwwwww he looks soooo cute and very happy
evol
Clan Member

Postby Dragon88 » August 31st, 2012, 4:23 pm

Just last night we rushed little Quincy to Purdue University Veterinary Clinic for Feline panleukopenia. It's similar to Parvo in dogs.

Prognosis

Of affected kittens that are two months or less of age, 95% die regardless of treatment. Kittens that are more than two months old have a 60-70% mortality rate with treatment and a nearly 100% mortality rate if not treated. Adult cats have a 10-20% mortality rate if treated, and an 85% mortality rate if not treated. Elderly cats have a 20-30% mortality rate if treated and a 90% mortality rate if not treated

Transmission and Clinical Signs

Panleukopenia is primarily spread through contact with an infected animal's bodily fluids, feces, or other fomites, as well as by fleas.[2] It may be spread to and by cats, minks and ferrets[2] and can be spread long distances through contact with bedding, food dishes, or even by clothing and shoes of handlers of infected animals. It is not, however, contagious or contractable by humans.[2] Like all parvoviruses, FPV is extremely resistant to inactivation and can survive for longer than one year in a suitable environment.[1]

The virus primarily attacks the lining of the gastrointestinal tract, causing internal ulceration and, ultimately, total sloughing of the intestinal epithelium. This results in profuse and usually bloody diarrhea, severe dehydration, malnutrition, anemia, and often death. It causes a decrease in the cat's white blood cells, thus compromising its immune system. Typically, it also causes a decrease in hematocrit and platelet counts on a complete blood count. This is often key in diagnosing panleukopenia. Other symptoms include depression, lethargy, loss of appetite, fever, vomiting, loss of skin elasticity due to dehydration, and self-biting in the tail, lower back and back legs. Affected cats may sit for hours at their water bowl, although they may not drink much. Terminal cases are hypothermic and may develop septic shock and disseminated intravascular coagulation.[1] Most panleukopenia deaths are due to secondary infections or dehydration resulting from diarrhea. This is because the virus affects the infected cat's immune system, leaving it vulnerable to secondary infection.[3]

If a cat is exposed during pregnancy, the virus can cause cerebellar hypoplasia in her offspring. This is why administering modified live feline panleukopenia vaccine during pregnancy is discouraged. Feline panleukopaenia and canine parvovirus are extremely closely related, and viruses can be transmitted between dogs and cats.

We have laid out some SERIOUS SERIOUS cash and will give him EVERY fighting chance in the world. I am searching the web for a top leading veterinarian in this field of study and would like them to contact Purdue to give any advice (in treatment) or to gather research in this field. If he must die I do not want him to die in vein. I want him to be studied in the hopes to find a cure for this disgusting and veil virus. We have instructed to do CPR, full medication therapy and ventilator. if he turns for the worse. We do not wish him to be opened up and cardiovascular massage performed however (he's been opened enough lately).

At the time of this post his white blood cell count if 1400 and should be around 6000, has not eaten in 3 days so they are placing a nasal tube in him to his intestine for force feed him. With out nutrition his body can not produce the needed blood cells to help fight the virus. When and if we see the count start to rise then we know we are making good progress, I ask any and all of my fellow ODC brothers and sisters to please pray with us for Quincys fight for his life over the next week.

(ODC)Dragon88
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Next

Return to Round File