Welcome to (ODC) OldDudes/OldDames Clan. Click here to register

Modem

When you can't decide where to post, do it here.

Moderators: timrit_jr, Galileo, Sargon

Modem

Postby Dragon88 » September 9th, 2012, 9:51 pm

I think my modem is dying on me so I am looking into a new one soon. Looked around at all the different ones on the market but can't decide on the best one for gaming needs. What do all you use or what do you think the best is? Give me all poop on the modem market, LoL.
Dragon88
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Dragon88

National Flag:
United States of America
Status Update: The road to success is always under construction.

Re: Modem

Postby TriangleMan » September 9th, 2012, 10:12 pm

Never thought much about it. Just used the one Time Warner provided. Hmmmm. Be interested to see some input on that one. Good luck Dragon.
TriangleMan
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Tri

National Flag:
United States of America
UT3 Name: (ODC)Tri

Postby Galileo » September 10th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Dragon88 wrote:I think my modem is dying on me so I am looking into a new one soon. Looked around at all the different ones on the market but can't decide on the best one for gaming needs. What do all you use or what do you think the best is? Give me all poop on the modem market, LoL.

Your ISP should have a list of compatible modems for their system. Not all cable modems will work with every ISP. Once you know which ones work with your ISP then narrow the search further by the level of service (bandwidth) each modem is capable of handling.
Galileo
Site Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Galileo

National Flag:
United States of America
Status Update: Lost in Retrospection

Postby Dragon88 » September 10th, 2012, 7:06 pm

Your ISP should have a list of compatible modems for their system. Not all cable modems will work with every ISP. Once you know which ones work with your ISP then narrow the search further by the level of service (bandwidth) each modem is capable of handling.

One would think comcast would know about such things as bandwidth, the reality is they don't. All they tell me is my upload speed should be X and my download speed should be X. As for modems go, when I asked them that very question is, don't use Motorola "they are junk!" but any thing else is fine.

I can conclude I want a DOCSIS 3.0 modem as mine is only 2.0, but as for the rest. I am confused totally.

PS. After the new win7 pro. install my gaming experience isn't a whole lot better. I can eliminate any virus activity, now I am going after hardware.

1. Modem (simple and easy upgrade which needs to happen either way as the 3.0 is here.
2. Processor (Dual Core: mine has been hot a few times in the past due to fan failure "Corrected now")
3. Graphics card (theory: my builder sold me a used one as a new one (never got the box with it, like I did with the new mother board, power supply & ram (old patriot))
New ram is working good!
4. Give up and build a new system! LOL
Attachments
Current connection at time of post
Current logging, greek to me!
My current modem detail screen shot
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby [uSa]Skippy » September 10th, 2012, 11:31 pm

I have some older parts I can pretty much get rid up them for the price of shipping :p
[uSa]Skippy
Public

Postby Galileo » September 11th, 2012, 4:50 am

http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

If you are asking about the linksys device as part of the upgrade that would be the router. This we can help with as far as getting a good device. I would take skippy up on his hardware offer. He might have something that you need.
I know my old modem would only allow 11 Mbps with the new one I am now getting 54Mbs down and 10 up, see previous speedtest post.

I am running the ARRIS WM760A DOCSIS 3 modem, seems to work well...

For the router I am using the SonicWALL NSA 250M with wireless
http://o-www.sonicwall.com/us/en/products/NSA_250M.html

The key with the router is to make sure it can handle the bandwidth Comcast is providing with security services enabled.
Galileo
Site Admin

National Flag:
United States of America
Status Update: Lost in Retrospection

Postby Dragon88 » September 11th, 2012, 8:19 am

Maybe I am not awake yet this morning, the Linksys is my modem. My router is a net gear, I thought that was the data for the modem.
Dragon88
Clan Admin

National Flag:
United States of America

Postby Skidmark » September 11th, 2012, 9:27 pm

Nice looking security appliance Galileo. Though I don't think 99% of people want to spend 1.5K on something they don't have the chops to set up or even afford.

I believe there are a couple of retired cisco routers with wireless at work. I may liberate one but really want the N.
Skidmark
Clan Member

National Flag:
United States of America

Return to Round File