Welcome to (ODC) OldDudes/OldDames Clan. Click here to register

Home Security

When you can't decide where to post, do it here.

Moderators: timrit_jr, Galileo, Sargon

Home Security

Postby Dragon88 » April 12th, 2013, 12:23 am

I wanted to share this with everyone out there, I found it to be rather affordable.

Recently I have had some theft taking place around my home/shop.Scrap electrical wire walking away from it's barrel, go figure. LoL

I just installed a 4 channel video surveillance system with night vision. Total cost for all the required hardware was less than $175.00.

Here is the list:

(1) ZMODO 4CH CCTV H.264 Security DVR $109.89

(1) Seagate ST3300831SCE 300GB 8MB 7200RPM SATA2 3.5" Hard Drive $38.88 (holds about 8 days of recoding set to motion capture)

(1) Cat5e ethernet cable Price varies according to length required, mine was 25ft $24.00

System took me about 30 min. to install (running the cables and plugging it all in). I used no special electrical tools to do the work either, tools used:

Cordless drill with 7/8" speed bore bit (Drill holes for cable in my soffit and screw in the mounting brackets)
Electrical tape (To hold the camera/cable connections tight)
Flashlight (To see in the dark attic, duh! lol)

The system can be stand alone with a monitor attached, or like I did, place it on my network and control it from my computer. It can also be used

with your smart phones as well. The internal HD will write over itself as to not loose that all important shot of the crime in progress. Every evening

I can review the day/night and save as an .avi any captures to one of my many external back up HDD's for later use. First night in operation we seen

someone scanning our back yard with a flash light as if they were looking for something. Didn't get the person on video as I still have not gotten the

last camera mounted up yet, due to rain. Just my luck! Last camera to mount up and I get rained out and that was the camera I needed up! LoL

Well it's up now so maybe we can catch the flash light scanner tonight. LoL

It's not High Def. but the images are still pretty darn nice day or night. Anyway I just wanted to share this with you all out there in case

you've been thinking about doing the same thing but didn't know the quality of the lower end systems out there. They are worth it for sure!

Attachments
Dragon88
Clan Admin

UT3 Name: (ODC)Dragon88

National Flag:
United States of America
UT3 Name: (ODC)Dragon88
Status Update: The road to success is always under construction.

Re: Home Security

Postby [uSa]Skippy » April 12th, 2013, 2:06 am

Fun thing about ip cams is that they can upload images and video offsite.

Its a bit more difficult to destroy the evidence when its 300 miles away before you have the door open :P

I have a few camera and they are fun to watch sometimes, having them set to trigger based on motion saves a bunch of time finding the good stuff.
I have thought about making a time lapse of all the people who go through the garbage and cats..... so many cats.
[uSa]Skippy
Public

Return to Round File